- You are here:
- Department of Meteorology
- Student experiments successfully launched from Esrange 2013-05-13 On Thursday the 9th of May the REXUS 13 rocket was launched from Esrange Space Center, Kiruna. On board were four student experiments, of which one was designed and build by students of the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in cooperation with MISU.
- Arctic summer sea ice extent controlled by atmospheric transport 2013-05-06 The retreat of the summer sea ice in the Arctic region is one of the most dramatic signs of the ongoing climate change. Although the ice cover is steadily decreasing it also shows a large variability from year to year. In a new study, published in the scientific journal Nature Climate Change, researches at Stockholm University have examined the variability of the Arctic sea ice. They concluded that warm and humid winds from southerly latitudes towards the Arctic in spring are important for the amount of sea ice later in the summer.
- Professor of Meteorology awarded honorary doctorate at the Faculty of Science 2013-04-22 Professor Jón Egill Kristjánsson has, on a proposal from the Department of Meteorology, been awarded an honorary doctorate at the Faculty of Science in 2013.
- Elephant seals helped scientists to resolve a 30-year mystery about Antarctic bottom water formation 2013-04-09 Scientists, with the help of elephant seals, have solved a 30-year mystery surrounding the formation of the Antarctic bottom water, a dense cold water filling in most of the ocean deep basins. The formation and circulation of Antarctic bottom water is a key process of the global ocean circulation and therefore of the earth’s climate.
- Welcome to the new MISU website 2013-01-31 At last, we're live! Our new website contains most material from the old, and is made in the university-wide web system Polopoly 9. The site is not complete, and we will add material the coming months.
Upcoming events at MISU
- 28 May Seminar - David Lindstedt - MISU Very high-‐resolution climate runs over Europe: an evaluation
- 30 May Seminar - Dr. Jiping Liu - University at Albany, US Diminishing Arctic Sea Ice and its Impacts on Winter Climate
- 03 Jun Seminar - Stephen Howell - Environment Canada, Toronto Changing Sea Ice of the Canadian Arctic
- 04 Jun Seminars - Master and Bachelor students - MISU Presentationen av självständiga arbeten i ”Meteorologi (BSc)” och ”Atmosfärvetenskap, Oceanografi och Klimat (MSc)”
- 05 Jun Seminar - Tristan L’Ecuyer - University of Wisconsin, USA Exploring Aerosol Effects on Climate with Modern Satellite Datasets
- Aerosol-climate interactions in the Norwegian Earth System Model-NorESM1-M [2013-05-20]
- Greenland’s contribution to global sea-level rise by the end of the 21st century [2013-05-13]
- Does Antarctic glaciation cool the world? [2013-05-06]
- Dynamical Potential Energy : A New Approach to Ocean Energetics [2013-05-02]
- Springtime atmospheric energy transport and the control of Arctic summer sea-ice extent [2013-05-02]